Most of us are, or want to be active agers, but what do we mean by that? We can be active in different ways and whilst for some it could be training for a triathlon there are many others ways we could feel we meet with this title.
Let’s start with the first one. I’ve then listed many more and you may like to add up the points to see which resonate most with you. And we can be a combination of many!
I’m thinking of developing this further as a bonus to go with the launch of my book and I’d love your comments on this.
The Fitness Fanatic: This individual is deeply committed to maintaining their physical health and spends considerable time and resources on fitness and wellness.
- Do you dedicate a significant amount of time to maintaining your physical health?
- Do you enjoy investing in fitness equipment, healthy foods, or wellness services?
- Do you feel a sense of achievement when you reach a new fitness goal?
- Does marketing that emphasizes health benefits and quality appeal to you?
- Is staying physically fit a top priority for you?
The Healthy Hobbyist: This person remains highly active, pursuing various hobbies and interests.
- Do you have a hobby or interest that you passionately pursue in your free time?
- Do you find joy in investing in high-quality equipment or services for your hobbies?
- Does your hobby make you feel active and engaged?
- Does marketing that speaks to your passions and experiences appeal to you?
- Would you consider your hobbies an important part of your daily routine?
The Lifelong Learner: This person loves to learn new things and they appreciate educational content and opportunities to expand their knowledge and experiences.
- Do you enjoy learning new things, whether through online courses, community classes, or travel?
- Is expanding your knowledge and experiences an important part of your life?
- Does marketing with educational content appeal to you?
- Do you feel a sense of achievement when you learn something new?
- Do you enjoy sharing the knowledge you’ve gained with others?
The Tech-Savvy Senior: This individual is comfortable with technology and enjoys using it to stay connected and informed.
- Are you comfortable with technology and enjoy using it to stay connected and informed?
- Do you enjoy learning about the latest gadgets, online services, or tech-related products?
- Does marketing that highlights ease of use, functionality, and benefits of technology appeal to you?
- Do you feel that technology improves your quality of life?
- Do you use technology to stay connected with family and friends?
The Community Connector: This person values social connections and plays an active role in their local community.
- Do you value social connections and play an active role in your local community?
- Do you enjoy participating in community events or volunteer activities?
- Does marketing that emphasizes social benefits and community impact appeal to you?
- Do you feel a sense of achievement when you contribute to your community?
- Are you interested in services that promote social interaction or enhance your community?
The Luxury Lover: This individual has significant disposable income and enjoys indulging in luxury goods and experiences.
- Do you enjoy indulging in luxury goods and experiences?
- Are you willing to pay more for high-quality products and services?
- Does marketing that emphasises quality, exclusivity, and premium experiences appeal to you?
- Do you associate luxury with success and achievement?
- Do you enjoy sharing your luxury experiences with others?
The Family Matriarch/Patriarch: This person places a high value on family and enjoys spending time and resources on their children and grandchildren.
- Do you value spending time and resources on your children and grandchildren?
- Are you interested in products or services that you can enjoy with your family or that benefit your loved ones?
- Does marketing that emphasizes family benefits and shared experiences appeal to you?
- Do you feel a sense of achievement when you can provide for your family?
- Do you enjoy planning family gatherings or events?
The Green Thumb: This active ager is passionate about gardening and spends a lot of time outdoors.
- Do you enjoy spending time outdoors, particularly in gardening?
- Are you interested in products or services that enhance your gardening experience or help maintain your outdoor spaces?
- Does marketing that emphasizes sustainability, growth, and the joys of nature appeal to you?
- Do you feel a sense of achievement when you see the fruits of your gardening labour?
- Do you consider gardening a form of relaxation and therapy?
The Eco-conscious Elder: This individual is deeply concerned about the environment and makes purchasing decisions based on sustainability and environmental impact.
- Do you make purchasing decisions based on sustainability and environmental impact?
- Are you interested in eco-friendly products, renewable energy, and sustainable practices?
- Does marketing that highlights environmental benefits and corporate responsibility appeal to you?
- Do you actively seek out companies that prioritize eco-friendly initiatives and demonstrate a strong commitment to sustainability?
- Are you willing to pay a premium for products or services that are environmentally friendly or that contribute to sustainability efforts?
The Art Aficionado: This active ager has a love for the arts, whether it’s painting, music, theatre, or literature.
- Do you have a passion for the arts, such as painting, music, theatre, or literature?
- Are you willing to spend on art supplies, tickets to performances, or educational materials?
- Do you get satisfaction from creating, appreciating, or learning about various forms of art?
- Is your social or hobby circle also passionate about the arts?
- Do you attend art events, galleries, or performances frequently?
The Global Trekker: This persona loves to travel and explore new places.
- Do you love to travel and explore new places?
- Are you interested in travel services, luggage, or other travel-related products?
- Do you get satisfaction from immersing yourself in different cultures and experiences?
- Do you prefer off-the-beaten-path destinations over traditional tourist spots?
- Do marketing messages that emphasize adventure, cultural experiences, and the joys of discovery resonate with you?
The Culinary Connoisseur: These individual loves to cook and try new foods.
- Do you love to cook and try new foods?
- Are you willing to invest in high-quality cookware, recipe services, or gourmet food products?
- Do you get satisfaction from preparing meals and experimenting with new recipes?
- Do you enjoy sharing your culinary creations with friends and family?
- Do you frequently seek out new and exotic ingredients for your recipes?
The Homebody: This active ager prefers the comforts of home and invests in making their living space comfortable and inviting.
- Do you prefer the comforts of home and invest in making your living space comfortable and inviting?
- Are you interested in home decor, home improvement services, or comfort-oriented products?
- Do you get satisfaction from creating a cozy, comfortable environment at home?
- Do you frequently change or upgrade your home decor or furnishings to make your living space more comfortable?
- Do you enjoy hosting friends or family at your home?
The Philanthropist: This individual is committed to giving back and may spend considerable time and resources on charitable causes.
- Are you committed to giving back and spend considerable time and resources on charitable causes?
- Are you interested in products or services that have a charitable component or that allow you to give back in some way?
- Do you get satisfaction from making a positive impact in the lives of others?
- Are you part of any social or charitable organizations?
- Do marketing messages that highlight social impact and the ability to make a difference resonate with you?
1. Analyse your responses: Look at which questions you answered affirmatively to and see if there’s a pattern. This could help identify your dominant persona. For instance, if you answered ‘yes’ to most of the questions in the “Global Trekker” category, you likely identify with this persona.
2. Reflect on the insights: Consider what these insights say about your habits, preferences, and values. These can inform your decision-making, whether it’s in purchasing, lifestyle, or even career choices.
3. Make changes where necessary: If the questions have revealed areas where your actions aren’t aligning with your values or desires (for instance, you identify as an “Eco-conscious Elder” but aren’t making sustainable purchasing decisions), consider what changes you could make.
4. Use these insights for personal growth: Use your persona to set new goals or take up new hobbies that align with your interests. For example, an “Art Aficionado” might decide to take an art class or start visiting more galleries.
5. Share with others: You could share these questions and your insights with friends or family. It can be a great conversation starter and might help you understand others’ perspectives and identities better.
6. Keep reviewing: As time goes on, keep revisiting these questions. People change, and your dominant persona now might not be the same a few years down the line. Regularly reviewing can keep you in tune with your evolving interests and values.